9 December 2010

Telecommunication Odyssee

Moving to Germany means having to get lots of new things... Kitchen, Sofa, Bed, Wardrobe, Lamps, etc. but one of the most important is: Landline Telephone, Internet and Mobile Telephone. Some of you might be wondering when they will receive updated contact information... so here the story from the land of the absurd

Step 1) Research of possible telecommunication companies and their availability and speed at the new address, including comparing the prices for Internet and Telephone

Step 2) Decide on the fastest possible speed ;) and create contract including Mobile Phone Number with unlimited landline calls (very handy for organising everything else...)

Step 3) SIM card arrives in one week, happy telephoning while waiting for the internet

Step 4) Additional SIM card instantly cancelled as it is not needed, never used!

Step 5) After waiting for two weeks, calling the customer support about expected waiting time for internet. response: your internet connection has been cancelled, our customer support will call you, you can keep your free mobile number

Step 6) receiving an email about the cancellation (a bit late as I already called... ) and notice that additional SIM card fee has been deducted from bank account

Step 7) second call to customer support. response: we have told you that your connection speed was not available (daaa, after I called!), if you still want new internet you have to create a new contract, you have to pay for the additional card as you used it (no I didn't) but we will refund 6,63 EUR (at least 2/3 of what I paid)

Step 8) decide to stick with the company (stupid thought but assume have to wait longer if starting new process with a different company). Create new contract with less promising speed connection (realisation that we could have had this speed for cheaper, but hey, we already know the people from customer support... ;)

Step 9) No refund of any amount on bank account. Third call to customer support, response: You cannot take the mobile number from the first contract to the second, you will have to pay the 9,90 EUR monthly for at least 3 months, you cannot order a new mobile number for your new contract before the Internet connection has been activated. This new information is frustrating but hey, I order the mobile Internet stick (supposedly free...) and this arrives in one week.

Step 10) USIM deactivated message on mobile phone. Fouth call to customer suport, this time from company phone as mobile deactivated..., response: You are right the mobile phone has been deactivated. You will not get any refund for the 9.90 as this is a activation fee (since when?!) and you cannot get a new mobile phone number before the internet is activated. thanks for calling.
thank you f***! Now I have no working mobile flatrate for calling, no way of transferring my old mobile number to my new account (did I mention that I already cancelled my old number as I thought I would have a new one....) and only little hope left that the internet connection will arrive before christmas...

No comments: