I finally managed to register at our local library. They have very little choice but I got some classic movie dvds and some gothic books (luckily that's their speciality).
Start with an old American clasic: Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958) starring a very young Paul Newman and Elizabeth Tayler, its a story about mendacity and love, mendacity being the lies you tell your loved ones and yourself. In the end its about telling the truth, facing death and being a family. Very strong actors. Shot in Black and White and still fascinating!
Go on to an Irish Classic: The Field (1990) is set in an Irish Countryside who might in this strictness never have really existed but is still believable as an example. Set around the selling of a field, the relationships in a small village explode as the "bull" the secret king cannot get his will against an American outsider. Very dramatic and even violent, I was bound to watch it til the bitter end.
For more humour but still a lot of drama: Circle of Friends (1995) starring a young Chris O'Donnell, Minnie Driver and Colin Firth. Set in Dublin in the 1950s it was interesting to see how the city and the country have evolved. The movie is about friendship, love and how to live your own life i.e. growing up.
Just a warning at the end:
I also watched "Brueno" which is not as funny as "Borat" and had a lot of awful nudity. Also not recommended goes "Public Enemy" whith Christian Bale and Johnny Depp (only reason to watch it anyway...) which had a good score. But I felt you had to know the history behind the story because in the movie you got very little information and a lot of unquestioned violence.
1 comment:
I saw "Circle of Friends" a short while ago - but sadly had to watch a German-TV Version. Now I just watched the engl.trailer (because I first didn't know which film it was) - it is soooooo nice in English!! In:German all the romance & human drama goes down the drain. Wasn't Colin Firth an A**hole in it? :-) But I like him all the same! But then I seem to like a**sholes... Maybe I feel sorry for them?? ;-))
Sending lots of love to Ireland, Natalie
Post a Comment